If you managed to catch last weeks post, https://mydiabetesandme.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/winter-is-coming-the-cold-winds-are-rising-and-other-scary-things-people-say/ you know that I have no sponsors, and the only dietary advice I would ever hand out is to use your meter as your guide.
That being said, has anyone heard of a group called Dietitians for Professional Integrity? If not, check out their facebook page and see just who sponsors all that nifty diet advice… Just so none of the followers of conventional wisdom get their knickers in a twist, thinking ha, facebook, anyone can make a facebook page, they’ve got a genuine website also.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics doesn’t even try to cover their sponsors, but I never thought dietary advice would sponsored by processed foods anyways, until I heard about the Dietitians for Professional Integrity…
In other news, I read a nice article about a new study this morning,
followed by a couple nifty studies a friend of mine posted:
(He said to click on NNT to get the exact number that benefited, I’ll make it easy for you,
- None were helped (life saved)
- 1 in 60 were helped (preventing heart attack)
- 1 in 268 were helped (preventing stroke)
(Likewise clicky click for exact numbers, here is your easy button…)
- 1 in 83 were helped (life saved)
- 1 in 39 were helped (preventing non-fatal heart attack)
- 1 in 125 were helped (preventing stroke)
You can also see the total harmed, if any, if you so choose to check it out for yourself.
As for me, I’m kinda tired of the scientificy stuff for today, looking forward to another warm day of general goofiness which brings me to #Fitness30 a.k.a. Move Every Day November
November 18, 2013
- hunted and gathered 2 18# turkeys (Krogers, $0.59/lb, what a deal), 3# bacon, 2# sausage (I miss Bubba’s sister…), 5# assorted frozen green veggies, 4# sweet potatoes. Used cart in store and toted that hunt to the car like a beast. Had to sit one turkey on the pavement to open the car door, but gimme a break, it was the last space…
- 3 planks (with the bar 10 sec count)
- 10 wide grips triceps dips (beginner)
- 10 wide grip triceps dips (intermediate)
- 10 wide grip triceps dips (advanced)
- Speed bag/heavy bag/isotoners rock “Save Me” Avenged Sevenfold 10:57 (oh yeah!)
Just so you don’t think I’ve forgotten, it’s Diabetes Awareness Month. One thing I maybe haven’t told you is how important it is to learn everything you can about your own diabetes. While there are ads for diabetes cures and such, anything from a supplement to invasive surgery, long term, there is no cure yet. We can only learn to control it. Set to path and question everything.